Considering that the costs for replacement windows can round up to a thousand dollars per window that are installed in your home, there is a good chance that you have to fix this on your own and to look for ways to save money for buying the windows separately.
If you are planning to do this job on your own, here are some great tips for saving up money on replacing your home’s windows.
- Look for builder-grade windows- Professional builders are always seeking the lowest cost commodity window considering that their bottom line is affected in this kind of purchase, and if saving money is your main concern, then you can do the same thing by purchasing builder-grade materials while anything that is considered “architectural grade” is always expensive, by contrast, replacement windows and a lot of other home remodeling materials, like floors, doors, and cabinets, you should choose builder-grade or contractor-grade which is always cheaper. This means that the basic product which satisfies the minimum requirements. The detractors say that the builder grade products inherently have defects, however, these can be just as good as the more expensive materials.
- Avoid extra features- Why? This is because this adds more value to its price which makes it more expensive. Just like other industries, window companies offer you add-ons and features which trick out your window and these companies offer these features to add more profit to their products yet these features and add-ons are not needed at all. Just consider how important these features are for your window replacement like the between-glass shades, the laminated exterior glass, the trim supplied and installed by the window company as well as the company-supplied hardware, the integrated grilles or muntins or mullions for window installation.
- Learn to haggle for a good price- Each replacement window company that you encounter and authorized dealers, you can freely negotiate a price especially if you purchase in bulk. The window industry is just a single sector of the entire home remodeling business where you can negotiate the price because of the fierce competition between companies.
- Consider buying cheaper materials- You should know that solid wood windows are always a premium choice for many, however, fiberglass frames are the least expensive of all the choices, but the reality is that you may not really be able to see the difference at all, so you should ask yourself how much you can value the prestige of having solid wood windows.
- Avoid the authorized dealers that only promotes a single brand- This is because these authorized dealers that only offer you a single brand of window materials can limit the competition which could help you find a good and relatively cheaper prices because these authorized dealers can return great benefits as many have been in the business for a long time already which can be your advantage when you call for a warranty, however, if you go for a brand-centric dealer, you are narrowing down your choices which is limiting your chances to get a better price.